Get familiar with basic recording equipment and software. Follow specifications.
Work with a partner or by yourself to produce a 30-second radio commercial for a product or service. Groups of 2 max! This may be an actual product (automobile, rock concert, insurance company) or a fictional one you made up yourself. Any recording platform may be used, but the final product must be a .wav or .mp3 digital file. All other file submission types will receive a 0.
- The content must be inoffensive (PG-13 as opposed to NC-17!). Have fun, but try not to be rude or demeaning. Stay away from topics related to drugs (weed, being high or on drugs included!), alcohol, strip-clubs, other sexual topics, and political topics. Any commercials made around these topics will receive a 0. We are making commercials for audio experience, not to start a debate.
- Both partners must have a speaking part in the spot; you may recruit other members of the class if necessary. If you are working by yourself you must find a second person to speak in the commercial. It cannot be just you.
- You must use music in the spot. It is not necessary to have music throughout the ad, but there must be music somewhere during the spot.
- You must use sound effects. Again, they need not be wall-to-wall, but there must be appropriate sound effects in the spot.
- The spot cannot exceed 30 seconds – 29.5 seconds is even better! Going over 30 seconds will cost you.
Your spot must meet the following criteria:
Submit your finished project in Canvas as an .mp3 or .wav file. Be certain to identify the spot by name and include the production partners who created it.